The electrical fuses and circuit breakers that control the electricity in your home make up the electrical service panel. It will eventually need to be replaced. There are several signs that indicate it is time to upgrade your electrical service panel.
Faulty Wiring Issues
Faulty wiring can cause the lights to flicker or dimmer. This is more than just a nuisance, it is a hazard. It can lead to a fire if it is not fixed. If you have an older home, then it is even more likely to catch on fire due to a faulty wire. Other signs of faulty wiring include a persistent burning smell, discolored outlets, and a slight shock when you touch an appliance.
The Circuit Breaker Frequently Trips
Your circuit breaker is designed to prevent a fire. It will trip if it is overloaded. This can happen occasionally, and that is normal. However, if this is happening all of the time, then you may need a new electrical service panel. Your circuit is either overloaded or malfunctioning.
You Are Getting Ready to Install a New Appliance
You may not need a new electrical service panel if you are getting a new toaster or blender. However, if you are getting something like a refrigerator, hot tub, or air conditioner, then you need a new electrical service panel. Those things tend to use a lot of energy.
The Panel Is Warm When You Touch It
You should touch your electrical panel every now and then. If it is hot, then you may need a new one. The electrical service panel may be using too much heat.
You Are Using a Lot of Extension Cords And Power Strips
Power strips and extension cords are not meant to be used for long periods of time. They can be a fire hazard. That is why if you have a lot of extension cords and power strips, then it is time for you to get a new electrical service panel.
Your Home Is Old
You may not notice anything wrong with your electrical service panel. However, if you live in an older home, then you may need to get a new one. Your electrical service panel should be replaced if your home is older than 20 years old.
There Are Strange Smells
If you notice a strange smell coming from your electrical service panel, then it is time for you to get it replaced by an electrician. This is a sign that something has melted or burned.